On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 05:36 PM, Eric D. wrote:

> Apple is the one who should have bought VPC -- Apple is in the best
> position
> to incorporate something like that into OS X seamlessly,

That's a good point, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that Job's
specifically didn't want to go that route. If you notice Apple's
direction of late, it's getting (or at least trying) away from being
merely a hanger- on or a niche platform to one with stand- alone,
proprietary apps that sell themselves, e.g., "iLife". These things go
after what the home user (and should appeal to business users with
Xserve and OS X Server)  could actually benefit from and distances
Apple from being an also- ran that has to convince Joe or Jane Average
that it's okay not to go the way of the other mass sheeple and IT
people's self interests.

VPC is kind of an umbilical cord that would prolong such dependency and
notion that Apple has to "fit in" to the M$ world to survive.

I just hope that Jobs is right in his optimistic estimation of the
public's intelligence.

dave