on 20/2/03 9:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> VPC is kind of an umbilical cord that would prolong such dependency and
> notion that Apple has to "fit in" to the M$ world to survive.

I wish that were the case but it isn't -- I'm running so many different apps
under VPC that I'd _have_ to have an Intel Piece of Crap on my desktop
otherwise :(. The one place where Apple will always have a paucity of
software is in the niche markets. I am afraid to say that affordable (and
even unaffordable) stats software has always been sorely lacking on the Mac
platform (& especially so b/c our site licences are for Windows-only since
that's what the bulk of users run).

Apple does need to fit into a M$ world to survive. Microsoft Word and Excel
are the de facto standards for file transfers. WordPerfect and 123 at one
point gave M$ a run for its money but they've fallen by the wayside. If you
cannot seamlessly and without fault read-and-write those formats you're not
going to be taken seriously.

Rational or not, I distrust interoperability with any word processor that is
*not* Microsoft Word (insert version #). I used to have nothing but
headaches converting files between AppleWorks, WordPerfect, MacWrite and the
various versions of Word. Word is no angle when it comes to compatibility
but it does cut out one source of incompatibility (the non-M$ element). I've
completely given up on any non-MS Word format docs (except for RTF) for
personal use, and when students e-mail me documents I now insist that it be
Word format (this was especially a problem when I discovered that a default
install of Word for Mac no longer included the converter for WordPerfect 5.1
<grumble>).

MS may not be the only game in town (if I didn't need to exchange documents
with people AppleWorks would be a perfectly viable solution for me (provided
I didn't distrust the app the way I do (all-in-one solutions left a bad
taste in my mouth in the early 90s with M$ Works and the early versions of
ClarisWorks))), but for me it's a cheap office suite (& the one I'm most
familiar with)... bulk institutional licences (*not* site licences) for
academic institutions are a good deal: Office X/XP $110/130 CDN ($66/75
USD), Windows XP Pro ~$120 CDN (of course, I have no use for Winblows higher
than 98 (that's my VPC) but if I had to run XP I'd certainly not use the
home edition).

L8r, Eric.