On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 08:48 PM, Eric D. wrote:

> 1. I prefer to have my computer boot up automatically into my account,
> so
> I'd like to have a screen saver feature (like the famous _____ (can't
> remember name) from the early-mid 1990s) which allows for both password
> protected screen saver, BUT, if someone three finger salutes a machine
> while
> the OS X screen saver is active they can bypass it on start up (if you
> have
> auto-login) since OS X doesn't then request a password. Instead I
> would like
> the auto-login to be disabled (temporarily) until an admin logs in.

if security is THAT important to you, i would strongly (let me repeat:
STRONGLY) suggest disabling auto-login. period.

auto-login is about laziness -- not being bothered to log in and/or
remember your password. laziness is the number one security hazard.
it's not hackers, it's not bad software, it's not bad circumstances.
it's laziness. for most people, it's an acceptable trade off because
their computer is either not mobile or it doesn't have anything
important on it.

> 2. EVEN MORE important than #1, I would like to have the screensaver
> activated upon sleep. Right now I have a clumsy way around that in
> that I
> activate the screen saver before closing the Pismo, but if it's
> running in
> clamshell mode I can't do that since I have to put the machine to
> sleep from
> the menu, unplug everything, wake it up, activate the screen saver,
> then
> close it again to put it to sleep.

the screen saver is not really a security device; it's entertainment.
in fact, if you look around online, you'll find at least one way to
defeat it without doing a three-finger-salute. do not rely on the
screen saver for security. period.

> 3. Is there a hardware password option (e.g. firmware password)? It's
> quite
> bizarre that a laptop wouldn't have such security options (since
> they're so
> 'portable' and can easily 'walk off' in the wrong hands), especially
> since
> OS X allows for great security potential.

Check out the Downloads section of Apple's Support website. I think
you'll find this exact software there.