>Well, if I don't find a solution, I'll just have to keep using the extra
step of opening the RA panel in order to connect, though the problem should
disappear when I finally make the jump to OS
<
Unless you "upgrade" to 10.2.4 !  10.2.4 has one of those seemingly random bugs (only
strikes a select unlucky few) that causes frequent modem disconnects.  There is a
solution though; and that is to replace six modem related files with the same ones
from 10.2.3.  Just my opinion, so no one need jump on me, that 10.2.4 has enough
bugginess of this sort that I will avoid installing it.  Ditto for the latest 10.2
security update.  Apple has not tested these two sufficiently before releasing them on
the unsuspecting public...opinion.

Jerry