On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 11:45  AM, Geno Endicott wrote:

> I am running OS 10.2.4 on my wallstreet. When I start up I see the
> little happy
> mac. Then my computer restarts with the grey screen with dark gray
> apple. Why
> is this? I thought it was to start just with the apple? Any ideas?
>
> geno.

 From what I understand, the wallstreet is an 'old world' machine,
meaning that the boot rom is just that, rom. "New World" machines (like
my TiBook) actually store the contents of the boot rom on disk (correct
me if I am wrong.) Since this is an old world machine, the os 9 loader
begins and loads the software that boots os x. On my Wallstreet, this
sequence of Happy Mac -> Apple Logo only happens after a PRAM reset, if
this is happening to you every time you shut down, your PRAM battery
may have gone south.

-Andrew