On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 10:43  PM, Hal wrote:

> Keep in mind that the advice (that I gave in particular) was related to
> Powerbook (Pismo and TiBook) models. I know for a fact that the hard
> drive is NOT user-upgradeable in any iBook models. I'm only mentioning
> this because I saw in yout sig that you have an iBook 700. That's a lot
> tougher to upgrade and will void your warranty.

as a former AppleCare agent, I can safely tell you that it does NOT
void the warranty per se - so long as you don't damage anything in the
process. (despite the title...) the article i posted states:
+ While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an
Apple Authorized Service
+ Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not
void your Apple warranty
+ if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However,
if in the course of adding
+ an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your
Apple computer (either
+ through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or
expansion product), Apple's
+ warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.

when Apple states in some versions of the Warranty Agreement that
"unauthorized changes to hardware" will void the warranty... they
aren't talking about replacing hard drives, even in machines like the
iBook. They're talking about modifying the existing parts - say,
soldering the logic board to overclock your processor.