Thanks for this info.  Very helpful.  I'm not too concerned either way,
because if something were to go seriously wrong with my iBook and Apple
wouldn't cover it under the warranty, it would just give me an excuse
to get that 12" PowerBook I'd rather have anyway!  I've never had a
warranty save me any money in the long run.

I understand the procedure is tough and that there are plenty of places
to "get into trouble" but I am pretty good at disassembling and
reassembling things -- he'll I've only been doing it since the day I
could pick up a screwdriver!  I've printed out various sets of
instructions people have assembled, and I have plenty of two-sided tape
and protective surfaces in my shop out of town.

I anticipate purchasing the drive on or around April 15, and doing the
install over a weekend down in the countryside (Manhattan apartments
are way too cramped for these things).  Wish me luck!

Here's another question for anyone who might have done this (or a
similar) upgrade:  OWC currently has both Toshiba and IBM 9.5mm 2.5"
drives, with 16 and 8 MB buffers, respectively.  They look identical
feature-wise.  Any advice on which one to get?  I have no experience
with either brand.

--Chris
iBook 700 OS X.2.4
PM 7500/200 OS 8.6