>Someone replied to one of my posts a while back that changing the hard
>drive in an Apple notebook does not actually void the warranty, just
>anything you screw up isn't covered under your warranty.
>

>Thanks for your advice.
>
>--Chris
>iBook 700 X.2.4
>PM 7500/200 OS 8.6
>PM 4400/200 OS 8.6, NetBSD

I have a Pismo and called Apple today about problems with OS 10.2. I
have read the article about customer installed parts and thought no
problem. I was told by Apple that they will not look at the machine
unless it is sent in with the original hard drive and the original
128 ram installed..  I told the service rep that I had installed a
new drive and a memory upgrade. He did not care. The old parts had to
be in the machine. They would charge 50 bucks to back up data on the
original drive, but would not assure me that the data would be saved
successfully.
YMMV
Geoff