Granted. but if the majority of users dont want 2 button mouses, or will plan on buying a more professional mouse than a simple 2 button mouse, why should apple put the money into it? especially if it would contradict the apple design philosophy.

you have to keep in mind that with the imac line, and even the emac, apple has been courting the consumer market, not the power users. So the majority of new purchases will either be from people who want the simple apple design, or you have a high end power user who will purchase a kensington pro trackball, regardless of whether or not apple produces a 2 button mouse.

As i see it, those are the two major markets apple caters to, with the rest of us falling in the middle. and for those of us who would like a 2 button mouse, it isnt going to affect our decision to buy either > way.

anyways.. thats how i see it. and quite personally, i think that 2 buttons on my pismo would really ruin the almost seamless design of the body.

No no no, I completely agree with you, the amount of time I spend trying to explain when to use the right button, when to double click, I stand by Apple's decision for a one-button mouse. (especially when working with some people who randomly press the left or right button depending on how they feel!), I was just saying that money isn't THAT tight!

It is funny when ignorant PC users say you can't upgrade macs, then complain they come with one-button mice. Perhaps the simplest upgrade of all would be to unplug the Apple mouse and plug in a Logitech mouse!!! Of all the Windows PC's I have, only one is still using the mouse it came with, and that's because I dropped the replacement one down the stairs, so to me the fact PC's come with 2-button mice is irrelevant, I replace them anyway.

About the clean lines, I agree that the laptops would loose some of their finesse, but how about a 'rocker' button design and a system preference, default is one-button operation, but 'advanced' users can set it to two button operation. (just a possible solution, not one that I anticipate or expect Apple to implement)

Personally I have a wireless Microsoft mice on my Macs, I can right-click and scroll to my hearts content.

Matt