I wandered onto eBay three weeks ago as a newbie, bought a bargain Ti powerbook, never saw the goods
and lost all my money. Am I responsible for not knowing how things worked, or the website for not warning me?

Since then I have found scams on the powerbook list (UK) every day. They become recognisable. I sent letters off to many of the sellers.

I have about 10 replies which are very similar to the following:

Hello there,
Before any bidding takes place you must know that for the moment I
accept payment only in cash either through wire transfer or direct pick-up
because I am currently in Germany where me and my partner
supplied capital for the purchase of a bankrupt stores stock. Now we are
trying to sell the remaining stock.
The buy now price would be 1200GBP for the PowerBook G4 17" 1GHz DVI SuperDrive (with all the shipping/handling and
insurance charges included).
The units are brand new still in their original package factory sealed.
They ship with all the accessories provided by the manufacturer and
have 1 year of warranty fully covered in UK by every Apple service center.
All the manuals and the original documentation are in English.
You will receive your package in 2 working days. I send all my packages
having written on them
"display unit, no comercial value" or as a gift so you don't have to
pay any additional taxes. (VAT included) Please let me know ASAP if you
are interested and I will allow you to bid or we can arrange a private
deal to save time and money. I have preffered this special type of auction
because of the multiple problems I've had in the past with non paying bidders.

Kind regards

Anyone who gets a letter like that, or is asked to pay via Western Union should be warned.

Why doesn't eBay take responsibility for allowing us to lose $$$ and £££ day after day? Because an individual bidder doesn't have the muscle to challenge them. If someone with the right know-how put tobether a list of 100 or so victims and took eBay to court I think we would have a chance to get compensation.

Mike