On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 11:51 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

I don't know about Apple, but I've rarely seen employee discounts amounting to more than 10%.

I can see items like this making their way onto ebay cheaply-ish. Not exactly illegal, not gray-marketed in the traditional sense of the term.

Yeah, but these folks aren't going to sell you a new powerbook for 30-40% off...

Machines close to EOL or near scheduled price drops often pop up on Apple Promo sheets available to employees. I have a very good friend (college buddy) who has been an Apple Employee for 15 years. He regularly sends out the promo sheet (approx. quarterly) which can have quite good deals on it. In February I purchased a new 15" PowerBook from the local Apple Store (yes, I was so hot to trot for the computer that I completely forgot about my buddy) for $2999.

Four days later a promo sheet came out with the 15" on it for 2499. For the mathematically impaired among us that's almost 17% off the original price.

Apple Employees can purchase equipment for friends and family (ANY EQUIPMENT) for 15% off. This is stuff that doesn't have to be on the promo sheet. I do believe that's called a tier-two purchase. Apple Employees are entitled to purchase one computer system (it may be two now - I'm not sure) at a higher discount rate than 15%. I don't know what it is but it is significant.

So, yes, recent Apple equipment may show up for resale on auction sites at a good price because of employee purchases. I don't think it happens often but it can happen.

Phil Burk