On Tuesday 15 July 2003 03:42 am, Illovox Media wrote:

> Man are you presumptuous.  I have, and they do nothing.  Did nothing when
> even my EBAY ID was hijacked.  Had to find their telephone number (try that
> Mr. Know It All) and finally with enough yelling they did something about
> that.  IE, they did not refuse or agree, they just did nothing--until
> pressure was placed.  I find that interesting to share here when the topic
> of EBAY safety concerning G-Books has *already* been raised.  And I am not
> coming "here" complain and get results, I am responding to a previous post
> I DISAGREE with.  READ THE THREAD.  What are you, the EBAY apologists
> police? EBAY has problems.  When they cross over to G-Books, it's a valid
> topic here.
>
> I've used EBAY longer than you have, and EBAY is far from perfect.  It
> excuses itself as a venue only, but provides a venue that allows crooks to
> flourish.  That is MY opinion, and I care to post it here.

The irony of all this is that I willingly (although reluctantly) gave up my
eBay account and my PayPal account because eBay will give anyone who
represents themselves as a Law Enforcement officer extensive information on
user accounts. All you need is a fax machine and faked letterhead to make it
seem like you are faxing your request from a Police or Sheriff's Department.

My reason for leaving eBay is because I didn't want to risk my identity to
thieves who might use this willingness to share information with those who
represent themselves as cops. When identity theft and fraud are felonies, you
think that a criminal will go "oh, impersonating a police officer is a
misdemeanor, I'd better not do that."

Perhaps if you had faxed your request for information on that fraudster on
official-looking Police or Sheriff's Department letterhead, you might have
had better luck in getting eBay to sit up and take notice.

eBay alternatives include Yahoo Auctions and Amazon Auctions/zShops.

Here are pertinent Slashdot discussions about the situation:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/20/1347252&mode=nested&tid=158
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/11/1523238&mode=nested&tid=158
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/01/1447232&mode=nested&tid=158&tid=99

eBay: where the bad guys win and good guys are guilty until proven innocent.

-.\\<-H-

--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273