I would never expect to find a legitimate recent model powerbook on eBay. Nobody except the oddball "Power Sellers" and scammers are going to have these offered. Look at Small Dog or the Apple store for refurbs if you want to save some money on recent models, and

It depends what you mean by "legitimate". Apple has, or had, pretty good employee discount programs, and it probably still has good educational discounts. I used to know an intern at Apple (years ago) and he would periodically offer his friends the opportunity to buy Apple product at discounted prices using his employee ID. (Each employee was limited to a certain number of purchases per year).

There are also employees who are laid off and allowed to keep their (sometimes new) computers as severance; not at all uncommon in this day and age.

I can see items like this making their way onto ebay cheaply-ish. Not exactly illegal, not gray-marketed in the traditional sense of the term.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards http://www.zws.com/
Learn how to build high-performance embedded systems on a budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20