So, there is something smelly here. I'm going to try a replacement modem for
the wallstreet, but something is gnawing at me that says it might be
something in the "system". I'm running OS 10.2.2 on the wallstreet (and 9.1
on the powerbook 1400), and darn it, one thing I hate about the OS X is that

Does anyone happen to know what chipset is used in these internal modems? The trend in recent years has been towards controllerless modems, particularly in laptops. The host computer uploads DSP code to a RAM buffer on the modem, and the host computer does most of the work that would normally be done by the supervisor MCU in a controllered modem. Instead of having a DSP, microcontroller, RAM and [EP]ROM/flash onboard, these modems only have a DSP and some RAM, which saves cost and power.

In modems like this, the DSP code is part of the driver, i.e. in this case part of OS X. Buggy DSP code would explain slow connect speeds, frequent retrains, disconnect on retrain and similar issues. Also, the DSP code needs to be tweaked to match the DAA (line interface components). If Apple is using a single codebase to cover a variety of different modems, it could explain poor performance on some particular implementations. Or they may simply have changed some defaults in a recent version of the driver, for compliance with telco regulatory codes.

PCMCIA modems are generally controllered (and I think _any_ PCMCIA modem that works with MacOS would be controllered). So they would not be affected by this issue.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards http://www.zws.com/
Learn how to build high-performance embedded systems on a budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20