how often and how low should the charge go before I recharge?

Someone else may correct me, but AFAIK, there is no "memory" associated with the batteries Apple uses in the iBook and PowerBook. You can either leave the computer plugged in or not; I've run my battery down multiple times and have not yet noticed any dropoff in available charge. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Phil, the only amplification I might make on your advice is that the Li-on batteries have a life limit as to charge cycles, so short charging them when they do not need much charging might constitute a bad thing.

Certainly they are far removed from the memory-hampered Ni-Cad batteries of "old" (and new Motorola GMRS radios). But our compulsive desire to always have our batteries fully charged probably contributes to shortening the lives of these high tech energy cells.

I thought about this after discussing the rather short life I was getting from my cell phone batteries with a local vendor of same. Same issue, and think of how many of us simply plug in our cell phones to either our car or home charger every chance we get. Mine have only been lasting about a year, though the advent of digital service in our area has helped a lot (uses less power).

Comment, anyone?

Jim

,, yes JIM Ill comment . and Im on your wavelength as regular discharge is key to getting the most out of any of todays rechargeable batteries I use and they hold a higher charge longer with regular hard use. Im in the habit of always trying to use a full charge cycle whenever possible. In fact if I use my AlBook away from its electrical tether, in the evening, Ill not re-plug it in but set it on the desktop and plug it in in the AM. But its not to say how much more life Ill get from my new 15" AlBooks bats. Speaking of > which=
They are sending me out a new battery for mine and I hope itll get a better life than this one.. since new it didnt charge to more than 2 hrs 15 mins... but in actuality it would last no more than 1.5 hours of browsing via airport. They want this one sent to engineering for testing. I noticed that Gisela had this problem with hers too in addition to the latch.. My latch works fine but that squeaky right palm-rest is a bit of an irritant.. and an intermittently loud blower under the "E" key

Gary
Aluminum G4PB1.25GHZ/512M/80HD/SD
G4DP450/896/2-20gHDs/17"StudioSoonForSale