At the same time, they never said that features that were available before would suddenly NEVER be supported again. Graphics chipset support has come to be a very core part of basic OS functionality, and Apple realized this when they decided to do the drivers themselves. Thus the responsibility for core OS functionality lies on them, not > us.

Sure, but 3D support is not required for the OS to function. It isn't required for productivity applications to function. It isn't even necessary for 3D content creation (very little of content creation is accelerated even on newer AGP systems). 3D acceleration is only required by gamers, and typically gamers stay closer to the bleeding edge of hardware. I'm not about to try playing a 3D game on my Lombard, I don't play any game on my Lombard. It wasn't designed with today's games in mind. With only 8MB of video ram, and no possible upgrades to that, it is barely designed for games that came out when it was a current system. My B&W with a Radeon even chokes on some 3D games in OS X that work great under 9. Given that, I'd never try the same games on a Beige even with an upgraded video card and third party drivers.

Apple's priority was first and foremost to have a viable stable OS. Second to support newly (and recently) released hardware. Third to provide basic functionality on older hardware (for which they had to have a cutoff). After all of that, when there is time to breath is when they could add more functionality to the code. The thing is, they got core OS functionality finished. Period. That's what they advertised. It's up to the consumer to make sure they don't read too much into any statement. It's easy to be disappointed when you as a consumer don't get what you think you should have. The real challenge (especially in this case) is to realize just how much time and effort was put into making this OS the best and most stable operating system we've known since the days of OS 6.

I don't care if it is a little slower on my Lombard than OS 9 would be. I wouldn't trade X on my laptop if Steve Jobs himself came up and tried to rip the CD out of my hands. Maybe if he offered a new laptop in trade, then I might consider it. ;)

Hamlin