>>> Yes, I love Apple too, and OS X, and I would never want to have to go
>>> back to the  PC (Winblows) world I used to live in, but this is one
>>> time that I really wish that Apple had done things differently. And I'm
>>> looking at the same thing all over again with Panther. I just finally
>>> get a Powerbook (Wallstreet) capable of running X, and I won't be able
>>> to run the latest version on it. And my Beige G3 is of course left
>>> out.
>>> What will it be next version? Native G4 machines  only?
>>> Just my .02

>> John,
>> My feeling is that what you are asking is like hoping that Ford will
>> design a 2004 Mustang with all new engine, amenities and traction but can
>> also use 1966 Mustang wheels and tires because you already bought them and
>>they are just sitting in your garage doing nothing.
>> Solution to the car dilemma:  Ride the classic boat and take pride in
>> it.
>> Solution to the computer dilemma:  Ride the classic boat and take
>> pride in it.
> Nope. Totally different analogy. The point I'm trying to make is,that
> if it was more important to Apple to get people using the new OS, than
> to get them to buy new equipment, they would have written serial port
> support into the OS. Instead, they chose to obsolete a whole slew of
> peripherals that thousands of people had, in some cases, hundreds of
> dollars invested in. Then Jobs couldn't seem to understand why folks
> weren't dumping OS 9 in droves and migrating to OS X. I personally
> couldn't wait until I got my Beige G3/333, so that I could finally run
> X. I was so hyped to try it after reading all the reviews and seeing
> the cool screenshots. Got it installed and booted into X for the first
> time, sweet!! Yeah, my floppy drive didn't work anymore, but so what?
> The only thing I ever used it for was to install software, and there
> was no software for OS X on floppy anyway. No big loss. Then I realized
> that I wasn't going to be able to print from X because it didn't see my
> serial port. Oops! Didn't know about that. I guess it's back to 9 to
> print! Hmm, that means my digital camera isn't going to work anymore
> either. Of course iPhoto doesn't support my Agfa camera anyway, so once
> again, back to 9! But yet all my old ADB stuff still works under X. If
> they can support ADB, why not serial? Answer; they could have if Jobs
> had wanted it. Funny thing tho, when Jag came out, and I had installed
> it on both G3's, one of my apps that used the serial ports on my
> Keyspan adapter on my B&W, was able to see the built-in serial port on
> my Beige G3. It couldn't under 10.1. I still haven't quite figured that
> one out. Of course my Laserwriter and my camera still wouldn't work.....
I'm with the above-make the legacy machines work with the OS. Don't cut out
a machine that is a few years old from using the new OS.
My nonprofit has two missions: to keep Macs out of the landfill and to keep
working hardware working by placing it in the hands of those who have no
access to technology. So far, I have placed almost 3,000 computers and
properly recycled over 1,500 Macs. Every time a new Apple form factor rolls
out, I get a bump in donations, but, as you can see by the numbers, legacy
Macs continue to keep chugging along! I find it distressing, however, one of
the reasons I am getting donations is because folks want to use the latest
OS. So, they will dump their nicely working machine, buy new, and then
realize they can't use all their old peripherals, or they want the "latest,
greatest' peripherals to "match" their super new computer. (Not that I ever
complain about a donation).
I am told by people in the industry that Apple does not want beige hardware
floating around, still working, but, I don't know Apple's internal policy.
I do know I am helping to create new Apple computer users but getting them
started with a Macintosh computer instead of a Winbox!
I am always excited when I can learn a hack or trick to get an older
peripheral to work with a different generation of computer. Of course, it is
even more exciting when I can match a user with a legacy computer-because
the computer does just what the user needs. I am still placing IIsi as
emailers-all on 17 MB of RAM running OS 7.1, and SEs as word processors.
It is a lot of work to find people to match the machine, but it feels good
to empower others and keep legacy Macs working. But, doing the research to
keep older hardware working is beyond the average computer user. So-the G5s
will keep getting bought because folks don't have the time to learn how to
get their older machine to work with the new OS.
raino