on 10/29/03 2:35 AM, John Acuff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 04:34 AM, Illovox Media wrote:
>
>> on 10/28/03 10:50 PM, John Acuff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I love Apple too, and OS X, and I would never want to have to go
>>> back to the  PC (Winblows) world I used to live in, but this is one
>>> time that I really wish that Apple had done things differently. And
>>> I'm
>>> looking at the same thing all over again with Panther. I just finally
>>> get a Powerbook (Wallstreet) capable of running X, and I won't be able
>>> to run the latest version on it. And my Beige G3 is of course left
>>> out.
>>> What will it be next version? Native G4 machines  only?
>>> Just my .02
>>
>> John,
>>
>> My feeling is that what you are asking is like hoping that Ford will
>> design
>> a 2004 Mustang with all new engine, amenities and traction but can
>> also use
>> 1966 Mustang wheels and tires because you already bought them and they
>> are
>> just sitting in your garage doing nothing.
>>
>> Solution to the car dilemma:  Ride the classic boat and take pride in
>> it.
>>
>> Solution to the computer dilemma:  Ride the classic boat and take
>> pride in
>> it.
>
> Nope. Totally different analogy. The point I'm trying to make is, that
> if it was more important to Apple to get people using the new OS, than
> to get them to buy new equipment, they would have written serial port
> support into the OS.

I don't follow your argument on why it is a "totally different analogy".
Still seems like a good one to me.  Bottom line:  If you want the latest and
greatest toys, you need the latest and greatest OS, and if you want the
latest greatest OS, you need the latest toys.  If you don't want to give up
old toys, stick with the old OS.  Want to stay with the old OS, then old
toys are fine.  Want the latest in fuel injection, buy the latest cars.

That's the way it is in every industry, from appliances to toys...

I love my g3 1400c 466.  Won't run X though.  Ah well.  That's life.