On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 01:25 PM, Hamlin Krewson wrote:

My feeling is that what you are asking is like hoping that Ford will
design
a 2004 Mustang with all new engine, amenities and traction but can
also use
1966 Mustang wheels and tires because you already bought them and they
are
just sitting in your garage doing nothing.

It doesn't work. Why? Well, unless Ford is using a smaller rim size and a smaller wheel-well on the new mustangs, the old wheels will fit just fine. If they don't fit this year, wait a few they probably will again. Each car company has a tendency to use a specific layout of posts for attaching lug nuts. I seriously doubt that Ford has changed theirs. For that matter there are only a few variances on the placement/number of posts within the industry. This hasn't changed in decades. So long as the tires are in good shape (doubtful if they're the originals), they can still be used. Now, automotive filters (of any type), that's a different story. These are changed regularly based on the shape and size of the engine compartment and the engine being used.

Actually, this happened in the mid 1980's. Ford released the Mustang SVO with wheels that were not compatible with other Mustangs, even ones made the same year. And everyone was pissed.

-Hal