The OpenGL/RAVE argument is moot because they are APIs, you can slap any API onto any chipset you like with interoperability. As shown by the support for Rage, RAVE, and OpenGL acceleration under OS 9 (Glide was 3dfx's answer to RAVE, before a standard 3D API came out, OpenGL). Heck, ATi could have supported Glide, but why support the competition?

Really? So I can just "slap" Win32 APIs on top of a PowerPC 601 and it will run? That is pretty sweet, I guess Mac OS X on Intel should be easy too since I just have to "slap" the application stack APIs on top another hardware architecture.

I personally am not expecting phenomenal performance from an LT chipset... but leaving a 3D chipset disabled for *3* years is borderline arrogant. Especially when the laptop in question was at about one year of age when OS X shipped.

Really, Apple came to your house and disabled it? I could have sworn that it worked in other versions of Mac OS, maybe if it wasn't "Apple should be all things to all people" running through your mind instead of the reality that they can't do *everything* this wouldn't be such an issue. Mac OS X shipped in 2001 or late 2000. So the Lombard was about 1-2 years old yes. but they didn't leave it disabled for 3 years, 10.1.5 came out in 2001.

Sure it is a little late now to really do anything because now the chipset IS ancient.

People complained at the time it was released that it was ancient. Subjectiveness is well ... subjective. The chipset was a couple years old, however, above you make it seem that 3 years is a life time to wait but so short that Apple should obviously be supporting more. Which way you want it?

However, I don't agree with Apple's position to kill support for a chipset that they pushed as being one of the best laptop chipsets a year later. My complaints come from the facts at hand (it IS possible to do OpenGL on it, ATi showed that... and ATi has had the stance for years that laptop chipsets were the machine vendor's responsibility...

Not accurate from what I have read, want to point me at something that says that Apple is solely responsible for providing driver support? Oh and this contradicts your statement that Apple can't create PowerBook LT drivers because no ATi drivers exist. Pick an angle and stick with it would you please?

and the LT was in the Lombard in 1999, about a year before the final OS X rolled out of the gate), and the decision to cut off support of certain types to machines coming out the same year as OS X.

Yeah, I know what you mean, they should support everything. I mean why doesn't my Newton run Mac OS X???? Its just a set of APIs, they could "slap" it on there right? I think Apple is trying to force me to replace my Newton with a PowerBook G4 12" don't you?

Fact is they have to draw a line somewhere, they have limited resources, everyone does, big company or not. Some people are mad that their 8600s don't run OS X natively. Others think their PowerBook 1400s should run it or their 7100s. Where do you draw the line, the farther back you draw it the my random requests and demands you get. So you don't decide that way, you decide based on technical practicality. Can the chipset do what it needs to do *well enough* that it justifies the expense. Apple decided no.

Sure they are a computer company, but that doesn't mean the decision is always correct.

Uhm I have no preconception that making computers makes a company right. MS and Dell and HP/Compaq make a lot of crap. Apple has made a large share of mistakes too. Every used iCal? Until the current version it was more than a little slow and buggy. How about how old iPods can't get their software updated, now if you want to complain about Apple, that is a better topic. There isn't any technical reason that on the fly playlists couldn't be added to older iPods. So anyways, yeah, Apple has their mistakes, I do not assume they are right.

David