On Dec 2, 2003, at 1:14 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

on 01/12/03 19:56, Dan Colwell at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

OK I'm finally going to do it...I know I'm a late joiner here, but it's time for me to jump to OS X.

I have a 400MHz Pismo, 768MB, 40g currently running 9.2.2.

Should I partition my drive when I install 10.2? What are the pros and cons?

If you partition you drive to keep 9 on a separate partition, should you need to do a clean OS X install, you won't have to re-install 9. Plus, it makes troubleshooting easier since the folders from OS 9 are not mixed up with those from OS X.

I personally wouldn't do it. It is possible to do an archive and install instead of a completely clean install with the OS X installer. This will leave your user data and any other installations in place on your drive and not clobber them upon install. There shouldn't be a need to do a complete clean install unless you wipe the drive and then you'll be needing a backup anyway.

If you feel the need to partition I would only do a small OS 9 partition in addition to the OS X partition. Every time I partition a drive for personal use in hopes of more efficient organization I eventually run out of space on one partition or another. Depends on your usage, of course...

Phil Burk