My advice goes from yes to definately yes ;-)

Partitions:

1st - OS 9.2 (3GB), if you want to boot into 9 directly
Having it first allows you to boot directly by holding down the "d" key.
No start-up manager or start-up disk hassles.

2nd - OS X (min 5GB) itself, by itself. If you ever need to reinstall or
start over you'll appreciate this.

3rd - Any "scratch disk" requirements ala Photoshop? Amt varies depending
on need.

4th - You *may* want to have a separate data partition. Apps crap out?
Reinstall. Data craps out? Use your back-up - and a separate partition
makes backing up a whole lot easier.

There are good arguments for making a separate partition for the swap
file, but not on a single-drive unit like a laptop.

I've aslso seen folks advocate separate user, mail and fonts partitions.

YMMV

HTH!

--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum