On 12/4/03 6:20 AM, "Luis Sequeira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I always partition my drives because this allows for
> My 60GB TiBook drive has 4 partitions, roughly one for  the System,
> one for Applications and stuff, and two for video work (which can
> then be kept defragmented, since I can erase them whenever I need) -
> for some people, this might be used for a large iTunes library, for
> example.

For OS X users there are two good reasons to partition and you mentioned one
of them. Anyone who moves large amounts of data onto the hard drive for a
short time and then removes it is likely to develop fragmentation.
Therefore, people who do video or audio work should dedicate a separate hard
drive or partition for that work. People who download large amounts of stuff
and delete most of it should do the same. The other good reason is to have
two operating systems. If one system goes south you have a backup. If an
update or upgrade goes bad, you have a second chance.

> Keeping most of my applications in a separate partition  has saved me
> huge amounts of time when I recently installed Panther;  moreover, I
> had cloned my Jaguar system to one the video partitions, which
> allowed me a safety net in case something wrong happened (which it
> didn't). With this setup I was able too clean install panther with
> minimum hassle. It would have been a lot more painful if I had a
> nonpartitioned drive.

What you mention above is the benefit of CLONING a backup to another
partition as a safety net. That is indeed a good idea but rather than
cloning to a partition, I'd strongly recommend buying an inexpensive
external drive for this purpose. The major disadvantage of using a partition
for backups is that some of the problems that can lead to data failure don't
affect just one partition but both. If the partition table is damaged, there
goes everything. If your drive dies, there goes all the data.

A firewire or USB external case can be had for about $50 and 80gig drives
can be had for about $100 - and even far less. I built a 120 gig external
firewire this weekend for $110 thanks to some super Thanksgiving sales.
Cloning your drive and then syncing your data folder to it every couple days
is a good and easy backup plan and wastes no space on your Book's hard
drive.

Finally, there are at least two major disadvantages of partitioning - wasted
space and inefficiency. Typically one partition fills up too fast while
another has plenty of space. This means that the partition intended for the
system might not be big enough - DISASTER! Or the applications partition
might have too much space and the data partition not enough so some data
winds up in the applications partition.

After playing with partitions on my desktop at home and my old iBook, I
found no speed or safety benefits. When I bought my new 15" alBook I left it
unpartitioned. However, should disaster strike, I have the drive cloned to
an external drive I keep at home and that drive has been cloned to a DVD
that I carry in my briefcase. Having said that, I've come to the decision
that being prepared provides two benefits - first, should disaster strike
I'll be ready and second, keeps the computer gods from sending disaster in
the first place. Going back four PowerBooks, I haven't experienced a single
drive failure or data loss.

david