Kris asked:
I am curious about something though, you said you turned off DHCP to work
with your existing network.  Are you using it as a bridge?

A: I just turned off DHCP so I could test the non-wireless part of the router--from port to port and not going through the WAN port. It used the DHCP of my Asante router. Although I could see the internet, it didn't seem to make any difference with regard to the network--I still couldn't see anything on the net including OS9, slowtalk, and Jaguar machines. I am vaguely aware that some routers do not support some protocols (like say appletalk), but D-Link says it works with Macs so I guess I have to look further.

As for a bridge, I guess you are asking if I was able to use the router to access another router. I am going to try--but I haven't yet. (since it was being sold for $46 with 2*$20 rebates, it was cheaper than a bridge). I don't know what you mean about static IP, you can turn DHCP on or off for either the WAN or the LAN ports independently. (the wireless being part of the LAN).

Anyway, to make sure Xmas went OK I bought an Asante 1004AL wireless 11(b) router. Well, it works great, like everything else I've ever got from Asante. I have some wire in my old plaster walls, so I put it up high on the wall, in the center of the old house, and I was still able to get a good signal 300 feet from the house. (so everyone in the neighborhood or driving by can share).