On Jan 8, 2004, at 10:33 AM, Clyde Kahrl wrote:

A: I just turned off DHCP so I could test the non-wireless part of the router--from port to port and not going through the WAN port. It used the DHCP of my Asante router. Although I could see the internet, it didn't seem to make any difference with regard to the network--I still couldn't see anything on the net including OS9, slowtalk, and Jaguar machines. I am vaguely aware that some routers do not support some protocols (like say appletalk), but D-Link says it works with Macs so I guess I have to look further.

Just because they say it works with Macs, it doesn't mean that it will route appletalk. The fact that it can route TCP/IP technically means that it works with a Mac.

Steve

Indeed. And the hardwired ethernet section probably does pass EtherTalk packets (AppleTalk over Ethernet) since these packets are just normal ethernet packets containing AppleTalk data moving through a hub. However, it probably doesn't route AppleTalk packets between the wired and wireless networks, nor between wireless clients.

Linksys does something similar. Their hubs and routers work with Macs, but they don't support AppleTalk. They'll pass AppleTalk packets over the ethernet hub side of their hardware, but their wireless clients (or upstream clients, AFAIK) won't ever see those packets.

As an aside, does OS X do AppleTalk over Ethernet (EtherTalk - much like AppleTalk over serial cables is LocalTalk, infrared is IRTalk, etc)? I was under the impression that standard AppleTalk packets had been evolved out of the OS in favor of only doing AppleTalk encapsulated in TCP/IP packets (and using new tech like zeroconf)... In that case, all the clients would need to be on the same subnet if the "router" isn't being used.

Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>