The first question is what do you have now? If you've got the original 6 or 10 Gig HD then I'd definitely upgrade the internal to at least 40 Gig. Exactly what you upgrade to depends on your budget and needs.

You should consider putting your old internal drive in an external case if it's of decent size. If it's worth keeping. Personally I'd get rid of a drive of less than 20 Gig as it's not worth the expense of an external case, IMO.
I'm pretty sure that you can make folders on an external FW HD that only you can access.

Jason