On 27/02/04 16:17, "Frank Cornew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Laurent:
>
> Chill.
>
> Check your solder joints on that ABS. The caps may have degraded or
> there may be a short between the terminals. Suspect that they are
> used to condition the input power for the ABS, so any shorts will be
> reducing the power available for running the circuits. I've replaced
> my caps twice in a graphite ABS with the latest set being of a far
> greater voltage than the originals.
>
> Test the ABS disassembled as well. You may be moving the caps in an
> inappropriate way when you close the internal clamshell. I actually
> cut holes in the clamshell to accomodate my first set of replacement
> caps as they were too big to fit. The first set didn't fail - they
> were a temporary solution.
>
> If all else fails, try a hard reset on that ABS. Maybe the firmware
> got rattled to a low power setting that was mentioned in another post.

Thanks, Frank! Glad to hear from someone else who also repaired his ABS.
Actually, I had a lot of problems to get enough solder into the board holes
to hold the capacitors. I don't know if there is a trick when you do that,
or maybe in removing the older capacitors, I did make the holes a little
larger, but if there is a trick, I certainly don't know about it.

Also, since you seem more knowledgeable than me about this, if you know a
sure way to do any measurement after replacing the capacitors that would
tell me whether my solder is good or not, I would greatly appreciate. I
think that's is the only thing missing from the web site I used to do the
repair.

Again, I could certainly use your assistance to verify my (maybe poor) work.

Thanks again!

-Laurent.