on 28/02/04 04:33, Gavin Tiplady at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Laurent,
>

>> ssh: connect to host permanentmailbox.com port 22: Operation timed out
>>

> yes that looks like port 22 is blocked.
>
> So regarding your related post about the URL containing 'mail' - have
> you tried just using the IP address of the web site's host in your
> browser request?
>
> i.e.
>
> Name:   netmail.verizon.net
> Address: 206.46.170.9
>
> (and that seems to redirect to URL based on)
>
> Name:   sso.verizon.net
> Address: 206.46.186.7
>
> If this appears to work for the first request but then throws up the
> domain name again when you start to interact with it (as websites tend
> to do) you could place entries in your NetInfo Manager to make the Mac
> use the IP addresses instead - I think that might help?
>
> With higher desperation levels you could of course always ftp the
> mailbox file from your home computer (left running all the time and
> downloading mail periodically) into your work computer.  They must have
> left port 21 open for a reason :-)

Thanks, Gavin! I tried getting to the IP addresses directly, but they must
have done something because they are also blocked.

I'll see if I could use VNC, but I doubt it will work. If you know Fannie
Mae, you understand that they are very sensitive to the outside world and
nothing, absolutely nothing should disrupt their activities. I think that's
why they are so picky about outside Internet access...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Heuristics are bug ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs, then
they'd be algorithms."