Laurent proclaimed:

Thanks, Gavin! I tried getting to the IP addresses directly, but they must
have done something because they are also blocked.

I'll see if I could use VNC, but I doubt it will work. If you know Fannie
Mae, you understand that they are very sensitive to the outside world and
nothing, absolutely nothing should disrupt their activities. I think that's
why they are so picky about outside Internet access...

-Laurent.

All is not (yet) lost. I'm not 100% sure on this since I run linux & OpenBSD @ home - not OS X yet... They should be very similar.

You can move ssh to a different port from the default 22 (or an additional port to) -either by changing the sshd startup script or editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Then, for example, ssh -p newPort -l myloginname -L 8025:localhost:25 myTunnelBox -L 8080:localhost:3128 myTunnelBox etc etc

What this does is as most eloquently described before by Gavin. You should be able to find one free port (e.g. 21 shouldn't be open to the wide world as ftp isn't secure). If feeling paranoid, you can can set your firewall to ONLY accept incoming on port 21 for ssh if coming from certain 'known valid' ip addresses. Port 3128 is for web access where you like if you are running a proxy such as 'squid'. By setting your browser to use a proxy for non-internal webpages (localhost:8080), you effectively 'pull' the web pages from the external server and then send them encrypted through the ssh tunnel to you on the 'inside'. -C may also improve throughput.

The best ports to pick after 22 is in the available non-privileged range. There are ways of finding open ports (e.g. nmap) - talk to you offline if you want more help.

A warning about verizon - I was with them for a while but they changed their Terms&Conditions - see http://www.verizon.net/policies/vzcom/tos_popup.asp
3.6 If you subscribe to DSL Service:
E. You may not use the DSL Service to host any type of server personal or commercial in nature

Also when I was using my home dsl to serve, the outgoing bandwidth was poor (128kb/s)... just my (equally OT) 2c.

Cheers, Pete.