Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:16:29 +0000
From: "JOHN.E.ABRAHAM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wallstreet and Brother HL-1240 Printer

Hello Listers,

I apologize in advance for the length of this listing.

Could someone help me with a problem I am encountering.

I have a Wallstreet 233 MHz (II) that I am trying to link to a
Brother HL-1240 Lazer printer with a Belkin 2 port USB 2 card bus
card.

I downloaded the Apple 1.4.1 card support application and loaded plus
the printer driver that came with the printer.  No Mac software
driver came with the Belkin card as the Apple card support
application should take care of this.  Other listers have had success
with this make of card so compatibility should be OK.

The card is seen by APS but with the printer switched on no printer
is seen. Chooser shows the printer icon on the left but when clicked
on nothing is seen on the right.  I have looked on the Brother Web
site for any additional info but could only find an up dated driver
so I downloaded this.

I tried to load the new driver and also tried to reinstall the driver
for card bus support.  Unfortunately when I try to install any
software a dialog box appears, informing me that no software can be
installed whilst  br-background is running and to quit this
application and retry.

As this must refer to the Brother printer I have searched for some
time to find what is running this as br_background is an extension.
I had no success so I decided to trash every thing that referred to
the Brother printer, this went OK until I tried to trash
br_backdround.   Another box appeared informing me that as other
applications were using it it could not be thrown away.

So until I resolve this I am unable to make progress in resolving the
USB-printer problem or installing any other software at all.

So any help is appreciated.

John Abraham

What OS are you running? I had a BusLink USB card in a Wallstreet - worked fine in OSX, but I had to turn off processor cycling in the energy saver control panel to get it to work in OS9.

---
JSH
TiBook