Hi Listers,

My USB issue has been solved.

My brother ( a SuSe Linux user ) pointed me in the direction of this site with a log of discussions regarding a USB problem

The info on: http://www.macintouch.com/mos9usb.html was very useful. When time permitted me to read it in detail I found out that I was not alone in the problem I was trying to solve.

The extensions on: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech/ftp/usb/usbextensions.sit were the answer.

I created a folder on two floppies. One to hold the new extensions, the other to copy the old ones into in case of a problem. When this was done the old ones trashes from the computer not the floppies. All I did then was to shutdown and then reboot. When I checked the chooser and the ASP the printer was identified and selected in the chooser. A small email was selected to print and this was done with ease.

Hope this helps other listers with the same problem.

John Abraham (UK)

Hello Listers,

I have resolved the br_background running problem that prevented me
from loading any new software.  So I have reinstall Apple 1.4.1 USB
card driver and the new Brother printer driver version 1.7.2. I
downloaded from the Brother site.   Unfortunately I still have the
same problem APS sees the card bus card but not the location of the
printer.  Chooser has the printer icon in the left box but when
clicked on, no connecting port appears in the left box.

Could this be and issue where the printer will only work with a
computer with a built in USB port.

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

John Abraham.

At 13:16 +0000 1/3/04, JOHN.E.ABRAHAM wrote:

I apologize in advance for the length of this listing.

>Could someone help me with a problem I am encountering.

I have a Wallstreet 233 MHz (II) that I am trying to link to a Brother HL-1240 Lazer printer with a Belkin 2 port USB 2 card bus card.

I downloaded the Apple 1.4.1 card support application and loaded
plus the printer driver that came with the printer.  No Mac software
driver came with the Belkin card as the Apple card support
application should take care of this.  Other listers have had
success with this make of card so compatibility should be OK.

The card is seen by APS but with the printer switched on no printer
is seen. Chooser shows the printer icon on the left but when clicked
on nothing is seen on the right.  I have looked on the Brother Web
site for any additional info but could only find an up dated driver
so I downloaded this.