John,

A few thoughts. First of all, you have OS 9 on this machine, why not use SCSI disk mode? This would allow you to make your powerbook into a large external hard drive from which you could then back your stuff off. (really bad grammar there...) The do require a special SCSI adapter - a "HDI SCSI/Dock adapter" specifically for this purpose.

If you don't have access to one of those you could always use a firewire PCMCIA/PC Card and mount an external FireWire drive or computer in FW Target disk mode.

Much faster than 10Mbit.

And yes, you can run CCC to copy the startup volume to another drive. But as far as I know CCC DOESN'T WORK OVER A NETWORK CONNECTION. The drives need to be mounted locally. So the above two options are your best bet.