Here's the 'official' solution, with photo:
"..
 Apparently the IBM Travelstar  creates an unusually
high magnetic field for a 4200 RPM hard drive, which
interferes with the PowerBook's "sleep switch" located
inside the lower body housing adjacent to the Delete
key and right above to the hard drive. When you close
the PowerBook cover while the PowerBook is on, it will
not awaken from sleep mode, if you close it after
shutting down, it will not start up. You will hear an
"electronic clicking" sound when you press the power
button. There has been a lot of discussion on this
subject on various tech sites. People have also
reported that a small weak "refrigerator magnet"
placed for a second on the case next to the delete key
"resets" the sleep switch, something I don't think an
owner should have to do!

The permanent solution is actually simple, place a
.04mm thick sheet of a non ferrous metal like brass
between the HD and where the sleep switch is in the
body of the PowerBook.I purchased a small piece of
.2mm (1/64th") thick sheet of polished brass and then
cut it in half to the right width to fit between the
screws inside the hard drive caddy (see photo below).
We needed to use a double thickness of the brass, to
block the magnetic field created by the 40GB drive.
Larger drives may need even more brass.."

Complete text and photo here:
<http://homepage.mac.com/
techedgeezine/cart_mac_pb2.html>

George