If I understood this right, the original thread (see below) never implies that the hard drive was changed. The solution that is being offered here is assuming that the HD was changed to a TravelStar HD, which had this sleep issue.
As I understood the problem, it's a video issue and this issue has not been answered to satisfaction. My Wallstreet still has problems with the video going blank, though I recently discovered that this seems to happen only if the battery is in. The battery is old and didn't hold a charge for more than 30 minutes when it was fully charged and the computer was using OS 9. After the OS X upgrade, I began having this problem.
Now on start up, after the comp has started up the various services, if I press the brightness button I get a picture. If the battery is in, the vid lasts for a few minutes. If the battery is out the vid stays--for days if I leave the comp alone. If I don't catch it at the right moment the computer goes to sleep and no tapping or magnet passing over the HD will awaken it; it has to restarted.
If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm reading for it.

Thanks,

J Sanderson