On Sat, 8 May 2004 12:14:37 +0200, invicta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Set up: DSL modem in the hall > Airport Base Extreme in the study at 6 m. distance from the modem > 17" PB running OS X v. 10.3.3. The APBE is mounted on the side of a wooden cupboard ± 2 m. from floor level and facing at 1.5 m. a window out to the garden. Signal level shows 12 of the 15 dots lighted. Building is bungalow type with brick walls.

My guess would be the brick walls are what are killing your signal.

I know that range is influenced by many factors but I would expect a range in my garden to reach 25 m. but it doesn't. My Kensington WiFi finder also does not recognize the base station at this distance.

My base station covers the entire house, upstairs and down, but it's largely open space.

Someone suggested that the ABE is lousy for signal strength, but again that depends on a lot of factors.

The suggestion to get an antennae is a good one. You might also want to get another base unit and see if that one works better.

Hrm... re-reading above, are you saying that you can see the base station through the window 25m away and it won't reach you? Are there microwaves/florescent lighting around? If you change the orientation of the station (physically turn it different ways) does that help?

If you have a clear line of sight, that should work from that distance. My Linksys said to put the WIFI unit as high as possible for best range, so perhaps raise it higher off the ground?

TjL