At 2:47 PM -0500 5/8/04, Steven Rogers wrote:
On May 8, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

On Sat, 8 May 2004 12:14:37 +0200, invicta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Set up: DSL modem in the hall > Airport Base Extreme in the study
at 6 m. distance from the modem > 17" PB running OS X v. 10.3.3.
The APBE is mounted on the side of a wooden cupboard ± 2 m. from
floor level and facing at 1.5 m. a window out to the garden.
Signal level shows 12 of the 15 dots lighted. Building is bungalow
type with brick walls.

My guess would be the brick walls are what are killing your signal.

Probably - there are commonly little metal strips stuck in the brick mortar and nailed back to the house to secure the brick veneer, making a nice RF shielding.

But those strips (at least the ones I've seen) aren't continuous.  To
block a radio signal from getting through you need metal with holes
no larger than a certain size.  The size is a fraction of the
wavelength).

Much of my has has stucco which has a metal mesh embedded in it.  The
holes in this mesh are about 1".  This is small enough block the
signal.  One advantage of UHF and above is that it will tend to
bounce around a lot and go in and out of windows or other openings in
a shielded structure.  Even with the stucco walls I can get a signal
out in front of my house.

Brick and concrete (including stucco) tend to absorb the signal where
as  metal just reflects it.
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting