On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:07:00AM +0200, Larry le Mac wrote:
:
: So many people are saying that Micro$oft's presence on the Mac is
: important for the survival of the Mac, but I am wondering...

Unfortunately, this is the reality of our times.

[...]
: I then go to save it and Word tells me I can only save the document
: with 31 characters or less.

There are two ways to look at this mess:

1) M$ is being sensitive to the needs of old Mac OS (8-9) users.
        The problem is that the old Finder on old Mac OS only supports
        filenames up to 31 characters.  Because Office force limits
        filename lengths to this old restriction, OS X users can still
        transport their Office documents to old Mac OS users without
        mangling the filenames.

2) M$ is too lazy to implemented 10-year-old API changes.
        Apple introduced HFS+ that supported 255-character filenames a
        while ago (like a decade ago), as well as new APIs to handle
        these longer filenames.  I don't know if the old APIs even got
        Carbonized for OS X!  Anyways, it's just another example of a
        giant monopoly not caring about taking advantage of all the
        features of OS X and making a better app.

Choose your adventure and pick a path.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene at anime dot net