I've used Office on new machines and old machines and never had a single problem. We've got it loaded on 30 eMacs here at the school I work for and all of them run flawlessly. The PC's with office and win98 lock up all the time, but the Macs run fine. Office 2001 runs great too on classic. I would suggest reloading the application, perhaps deleting the preferences?

Mike @ AAHS