On Jun 17, 2004, at 4:05 AM, Steve Fuller wrote:

No specific recommendations, but if money's tight that's another good
reason to go with 'b'.  I wouldn't worry too much about 'b' being
obsolete, as 'g' will be obsolete soon as well. :)

Good point. Thanks Jeff, Laurent, Frank & Bob - I think I'll go with the
airport card
and an inexpensive B router. Now that you've got me started, on to

Just to clarify something I've seen in this thread, an Airport card is a wireless card that uses 802.11b to communicate between itself and a wireless access point (WAP) or other computers. This card requires an Airport slot to work. The Pismo only has a PCMCIA slot. To my knowledge, a genuine Apple Airport card will NOT work in this slot as the pinout on the Apple Airport card is different (and unique to Apple). You will need to purchase a standard PCMCIA 802.11b wireless card for your Pismo, so you will need to research what cards are going to work for you and whatever OS you are using on your computer.

Just thought that I'd clear up the terminology a bit, as it can make a difference when you are buying hardware.

Steve Fuller

Clear as mud.

I've had an 802.11b Airport card in my Pismo (Powerbook Firewire 2000) since 2001.

IF I wanted to upgrade to the 802.11g standard I would need to get a compatible PCMCIA card.

Pismo 400MHZ G3, 768MB RAM, OS X 10.3.4
Turtle-Bear