on 17/06/04 21:18, Imal Tornapart at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> I've had an 802.11b Airport card in my Pismo (Powerbook Firewire 2000)
> since 2001.
>> IF I wanted to upgrade to the 802.11g standard I would need to get a
> compatible PCMCIA card.
>> Pismo 400MHZ G3, 768MB RAM, OS X 10.3.4
>> Turtle-Bear
>
> Nice, that's very close to the system I have.  Which base station are you
> using?
>
> Are you confident that you can use 802.11g on this model, even as a PCMCIA
> card? How about AirPort Extreme?
> I was under the impression that the Firewire 2000 was only able to use
> 802.11b. Is this a driver issue?
>
> Also, what about Mac OS 9.2? Will I be able to use an 802.11b or 802.11g
> PCMCIA card in both X and 9.2?
> Anyone have a tested combo so I can start with a known good setup?
>
> I swear I am reading GB's of web pages relating to this issue.  Still just a
> bit confusing, but it is getting clearer, slowly.
> Better to measure twice and cut once, I think, even if that involves asking
> scores of questions.
>
> Thanks to all who have helped me so far, and there's more to come...

A Pismo has only an internal regular AirPort card slot. AirPort (the 1st
generation) only supports 802.11b. If you want to use 802.11g, then you will
need to buy a 3rd party card and make sure they provide a driver for the OS
you want to use it with. This 3rd party card will be a PCMCIA card, so you
will need to plug it into the PCMCIA slot of your Pismo.

I haven't heard about any 3rd party 802.11g card that works in OS X right
now. That is not to say that it doesn't exist, but I haven't heard about
any. You could check the driver of IOExpert.com. They sell a driver that
supports a wide range of 802.11b card in OS X. Maybe they do support 802.11g
cards as well, I don't know.

I think that it will be hard to find anything 802.11g for OS 9. The OS
hasn't been updated in over 2 years and Apple has clearly stated that it's a
dead-end. So, most manufacturers and software developers focus their
resources for OS X and you're more likely to get support for 802.11g for OS
X only. However, you do have to remember that with OS X having maybe 2% or
3% of the computer market, few wireless equipment makers provide drivers
even for OS X. That's where IOExpert might come handy...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

featurectomy /fee`ch*r-ek't*-mee/ n.: The act of removing a feature from a
program. Featurectomies come in two flavors, the `righteous' and the
`reluctant'. Righteous featurectomies are performed because the remover
believes the program would be more elegant without the feature, or there is
already an equivalent and better way to achieve the same end. (Doing so is
not quite the same thing as removing a misfeature.) Reluctant featurectomies
are performed to satisfy some external constraint such as code size or
execution speed.