Claire:

Whatever you do, first compare Apple prices with those at reputable vendors
such as crucial.com.  Crucial has an excellent, very helpful web site.  You
can find other memory vendors at the lowendmac.com web site which sponsors
this e-list.  I know, I know, that will complicate the answers to your
questions.

Claire Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm ordering a 17" powerbook.  Should I get 2 sticks of 512 RAM, or 1
> stick of 1GB RAM?  Is there an advantage to spreading the 1 GB over the
> two slots?  I'm thinking that if I do the 1GB stick in one slot, then I
> can add another one later and not have to mess with the one already
> there.

If you want 1GB at the beginning and do NOT want more later, it is cheaper
to buy 2 sticks of 512.  And it is cheaper to buy the second stick from
Crucial or other vendor rather than from Apple.  Your manual should give
precise instructions on how to install.   Another advantage over one stick
is that, if one of two sticks fails, you still can limp along with the
remaining good stick.

If you know or even suspect that you will want to add RAM over the initial
1GB later on, then you should order the PB with a one-stick 1GB RAM and
leave the second slot empty for later use.

> Second question:  Can I have 512 in one slot and 1 GB in the other,

YES.

 or
> do they have to match?

NO.

And if you decide to have 1.5GB at the beginning, just order the PB with the
512MB stick and buy the extra 1GB from Crucial or other vendor.

--
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,