I guess this is not true for new drives. Otherwise all my laptops would be
dead by now. Also consider that the same drive is also in iPod - I doubt
that people switch off the iPod before moving it - quite the opposite - many
run with the iPod for several miles. I usually do not switch the machine off
before moving between my cube and meeting room. All laptops survived so far
(Macs, IBMs, Compaqs, HPs) and I'm proud owner of the original 5GB iPod that
survived all the moving a well and it flew over 200 000 miles on various
airlines with me.

I had 40GB Travelstar in my older Powerbook and it made noise when removed
and replaced with 80GB disk. I sold it to a friend and he had no problems
with it at all. Still running. I was also worried about the noise as the
other disk did not make any noises (20GB Hitachi). But both work fine even
now 1 year later.

Jan