On Jul 26, 2004, at 9:16 PM, Mikael Byström wrote:

Bruce, [EMAIL PROTECTED] macy.arizona.edu said:

They'd *better*!! They're laptop drives, after all!

Hum. Have you talked about these expectations with IBM? I can see newer drives being built for moving around *a bit*, but I wouldn't count on it with older drives.

We're talking about different circumstances, I believe. Turned off you had better be able to move them around, otherwise that whole 'portable' concept goes out the window. ;-)

Also, hard drives have known shock tolerances for both spinning and non-spinning states.

The data sheet for this drive (available at Hitachi's drive site: <http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/ C5973B311E40B36D87256B290055562D>) states that it can take a single shock, while operating, of 150G's over 2 ms. Non operating it can withstand 700 G's.

They can withstand vibratory shock at 3 g's.

This is quite a lot. There will be no problem picking up a running computer and carrying it around. Barring unfortunate orientation and a really large fall, dropping it won't affect it. (This is not to say that the *rest* of the computer won't be affected.)

Hard drives are actually quite rugged.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona