On Aug 10, 2004, at 7:30 AM, Andrew Main wrote:

I do maintenance usually in the following order: DiskWarrior (starting from the DW 3.x CD), then Repair Disk (starting from the Panther CD, or via Single User Mode), then Repair Permissions (starting from my normal boot volume). I also have the Macaroni utility installed, which automatically repairs permissions once a week (or however I have it programmed) as well as covering other maintenance tasks; this automation should be built into OS X, but until Apple gets around to admitting that OS X does require regular maintenance, I buy licenses for Macaroni by the dozen and install it in every OS X Mac I set up.

This is way overkill.

There isn't ONE of the many OS X systems here that we do this to, and I've only ever had problems with three of them: one hard drive failure, one messed up upgrade, and one user-induced catastrophe. ("Hey I don't need these files! OS X won't let me delete them, so I'll boot into OS 9. Look at this, this /etc folder. That must just be un-needed junk, out it goes...")

If you're having file or disk corruption that often you have other problems, such as bad hardware or poor power. (everyone, and I mean EVERYONE should use a UPS with thier desktop Mac. Powerbooks have separate power supplies which can isolate the PB somewhat, and lugging about a 15-lb UPS is kind of contrary to the whole 'portable' concept, but one for home for everything to plug into is not a bad idea.)

OSX isn't that fragile...heck *Windows* isn't that fragile!

Repair Permissions is important; do it early and often, but always (if possible) from your boot volume.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'