On Aug 10, 2004, at 12:48 PM, Andrew Main wrote:

I read MacInTouch and MacFixIt every day, and am appalled at how disastrously messy OS X -- which was supposed to solve all the problems we were having with the classic OS -- has turned out to be for many users.

You read squeakywheel fests every day and you think that the OS is a disaster.

People having no problems don't post on those sites, nor do they post on apple's forums, nor are their views found very often when searching the web.

Why? Because it's not an issue. Unlike Windows which seems compelled to tell me it's done something successful all the time, Mac OS X just works, and most people just expect it to. You're never going to find long exchanged on these sites about 'Oh well, it's still working for me!' 'What!! How amazing!!! Me Too!!'

Yes, there are problems, but 'disastrously messy' is so far from the truth it's not funny.

If I read MacFixit every day I'd wonder why Apple just didn't sell everything and make windows PC's, because obviously their OS is worthless. It's compounded by instapundits who pontificate on that site (and others) about how worthless this or that is and how Apple is screwing everything up, etc etc etc.

Then you find out these people have a system composed of bits from four different models of mac, with homebrewed motherboard modifications, a hard drive that 'blew up once, but I banged on it and it worked again', and systems kludged together from three different system installs and some hand-compliled Linux code they thought should work.

Gee, it doesn't, I wonder why...

In real life, I've never done any of this stuff before a system update and have never had a problem from 10.1 on to 10.3.5 which I installed without thinking about it much as soon as it was available.

In real life, we have dozens of OSX systems here in the College, and I've had just a few problems, one of them user-induced, none which lost much data. (one user lost a HDD, and had neglected to back up his whole user directory, just his Documents folder. So he lost his bookmarks, address books and a few other things.)

In real life, we don't see these problems with OS X even in the big computer labs on campus. OS X is very stable.

In real life, most people have few problems with OS X.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona