I read MacInTouch and MacFixIt every day, and am appalled at how disastrously messy OS X -- which was supposed to solve all the problems we were having with the classic OS -- has turned out to be for many users. The difference is that unlike OS 9 (and earlier), when trouble comes to OS X it's often impossible for a non-geek to figure out. If I were attracted to learning arcane command-line stuff, I'd have gotten a PC in 1988 instead of a Mac. The Mac was easy enough for a clever non-geek like myself to figure out that I've been making my living doing Mac support for over a decade; but OS X is a whole other level. True, it's pretty robust, but when it does go wrong, it really goes wrong. And it's a much bigger job to reinstall.

From today's MacFixIt:

1. Make sure your hard drive is in good shape: Boot from the OS X Install CD and run Disk Utility's Repair Disk function (or use a third-party drive utility such as DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro).
2. When booted from the volume containing Mac OS X, run Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions function.
3. Install the update.
4. After rebooting, again run Repair Disk Permissions.

Note item #2.

Andrew Main

I disagree. You should read Macfixit more often. Many people have problems
after installing an OS X update. Better to be safe than sorry. By the way,
the advice I gave comes straight from MACFIXIT.
--
Aaron Willems