I wrote:
>>All PBs from Pismo on have mpeg playback hardware as part of their ATI
>>graphics subsystems.

to which Drew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
>Thanks kind of a stretch, wouldn't you say?  Those graphics systems
>don't have dedicated hardware for decoding MPEG-2.  Rather, they have
>enough horsepower and a few extensions that lend themselves to the
>processing required for decoding MPEG-2.
Ohhhhh Drew-woo! No stretch at all. The graphics subsystems in "all PBs
from Pismo on" have hardware mpeg2 playback incorporated into their ATI
chips as per Apple's own devnotes. Now whether Apple provides drivers for
that hardware is a different story.

Again, here's a link to my devnotes video HW infos compilation:
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/pb_video.html>

So here's _MY_ question - if X's "SW" DVD Player _doesn't_ use ATI's HW
decoder, then why can't a fast G3 play back mpeg2 DVDs? What does X's
"SW" DVD Player _need_ to function? Lots of vram or ????

For instance, I've got a 400mHz (nee 300mHz) Blueberry iBook which cannot
play DVDs with X's "SW" DVD Player. What is the missing ingredient in
this trusty clamshell? I must admit though, I didn't try any 3rd party
playback apps. Might one of those work?

And now for something completely different!
Will S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>Coming from a list nanny is outrageous ! Really poor judgment. Dan K
>time to step in and do your job.

I'm not a list nanny, no-one would dream of handing such tremendous
responsibility to lil' ol' me. :P

Doh!! Will S. obviously refers to _another_ "Dan K". Nevvveeerrr mind!

Dan K  ("K" for Kraeuter, rhymes with loiter)

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500