All PBs from Pismo on have mpeg playback hardware as part of their ATI
graphics subsystems. The Lombard 400 (and some 333) have a:
[quote]
ZiVA PC DVD Decoder
Some configurations have a built-in DVD decoder IC: a ZiVA-PC made by
C-Cube Microsystems. The IC provides video support for a DVD drive in the
expansion bay.
In addition to the video timing generation and DVD system functions, the
ZiVA-PC IC provides the following decoding functions:
* Linear PCM audio decoding
* MPEG-2 audio and video decoding.
* AC-3 decoding and downmixing from 5.1 to 2 audio channels
The ZiVA-PC IC controls 2 MB of synchronous DRAM, enabling the IC to
provide full NTSC and PAL video decoding.
[/quote]

FYI, I culled the relevant graphics system info from the hardware
devnotes for PowerBooks Wallstreet to 1gHz TiBook and put it all here:
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/pb_video.html>

Apple's hardware devnotes:
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Hardware2.html>

I didn't include any iBook infos on this page, but Mikael is correct that
the 366/466 iBooks both support DVD playback with their ATI RAGE Mobility
128 graphics. The earlier iBooks use the ATI RAGE Mobility chips which
AFAIK do NOT support DVD playback.

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700