On Aug 12, 2004, at 7:47 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

on 12/08/04 19:47, Mikael Byström at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Bruce, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

In real life, most people have few problems with OS X.

let me guess, "real life" is lives approved by.... you? How do you find
the time for all this approval business?

I have few problems with OS X. Is that enough to become approved?

Since Bruce is a system administrator where he works, I would assume that
when he says "real life", he's probably thinking about the users he has to
support. But that's just wishful thinking from me...

That's the experience I was talking from, that and the shared experiences of our Mac admins group on campus. We find that, in the main, we don't have to do a whole lot, since the Macs don't seem to break very often; when they do, it's often easy to fix.

Sometimes we get seemingly hard ones, but even they often turn out to have simple fixes.

Moreover, either because Mac users are naturally more intelligent ;-), they're more used to fixing things themselves, living in a computing ghetto that they do, or that macs are easier to deal with in the first place (or a combination of all three), we find that one reason we're so rarely fixing problems is that the users themselves fix the problems when they arise.

I'm not offended my Mikael's remarks, what bothers me is the seeming attitude by many that the mac is just beset with horrible problems, because they go looking for the people having those problems. (like hitting MacFixit every day, and such.) It's a biased view, and after a while, if those are the sites you frequent, it seems like it's the only view.

It's like the many, many PC users I've run into who are genuinely surprised, when I tell them I didn't have to worry about viruses on my Mac. They see nothing but all the news coverage about this or that new virus sweeping the worlds computers, and never seem to read to the last line where the obligatory "Macs and Linux systems are not affected."

(A problem not confined merely to computers in this media-soaked age)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona