Well, here is the meaning of the tones (From the Apple Service Manuals for the Pismo):

1 beep No RAM is installed or detected.
2 beeps EDO memory is installed. The PowerBook (FireWire) ships with SDRAM SO-DIMMs and does not accept EDO memory.
3 beeps No RAM banks passed memory testing.
4 or 5 beeps Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM. The ROM (which is located on the microprocessor module) is bad.

What this means is that since you got 4 beeps, the ROM upgrade never got complete. The ROM flashing probably got interrupted. Tell me, what did you do after you heard the one long beep? Also, the flashing instructions I read say that you shouldn't shut down, so that all the data needed to flash the firmware is where it is supposed to be. I would like to know a little more detail on what you did *exactly* so I can at least let you know where it went wrong, exactly.

To be blunt the processor is not repairable without seeing if Apple themselves are willing to fix a bad ROM flash, and they might charge you more than it would cost to grab a 400Mhz processor.

Regards,
Adam Thayer